Thursday, November 28, 2013

A visit to the American International School and the Price of Empire



I joined a local organization called the American Community of Riyadh this week, so that I can have an outlet for social engagement with other Americans living here, and particularly to get a ticket to their holiday (not Christmas) “Silver Bells” party.

The trip there was an ordeal in that it took one hour to get there from my workplace, and I would estimate the distance was perhaps 15 miles. Riyadh has a lot of traffic congestion.  Adding to the ordeal is the fact that there is no such thing as a street address in Riyadh. Essentially you have to give directions to a place via landmarks. My hotel has the following given as its location on their website and business cards: “Uroubah rd. crossing at King Fahad Highway.”

Once we (my good buddy Mr. Chaouachi, the hotel deputy general manager, and I) finally found our way there, we knew it must be the right place from the extreme security measures, which included heavy concrete barriers and a jeep with a turret-mounted machine gun.  Once past these security measures I was ready to enter the facility, where I encountered a prison-like entrance with double door locks and bullet-proof glass. (I also had to have an appointment to enter).  Then once through that gauntlet, there was a long corridor, probably ¼ mile long, and finally at the other end, there was the actual school entrance. After all that, it was very bright and colorful and welcoming on the campus.
 




All that security is one of the prices of empire.




No comments:

Post a Comment