Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My first day in Riyadh

Well I just spent my first full day in Riyadh and I will call it a qualified success. I am staying at the Carawan Al Fahad Hotel, which is just next door to the Kingdom Tower, and a 15-minute walk from K∙A∙CARE offices. The hotel is very affordably priced at 400 SAR ($106) per day including breakfast (a combination of traditional Arabian fare and American favorites like McDonalds-style hashed browns and scrambled eggs).  It is much nicer on the inside than the outside. My new best friend is the Deputy General manager of the hotel, Chaouachi Mohamed Fadhel, who has also been my driver. He is from Tunisia and is very friendly. 

I went to the K∙A∙CARE office today to start some of my paperwork, including the “Iqama” or residence permit (similar to a US Green Card). To get it I must go through yet another medical exam (after completing a rather extensive one just over two months ago).  I have to have blood tests so I am going to the clinic tomorrow morning for that.

The weather is quite pleasant and cool in the evening, and about 90°F at the hottest time of the day (but also very dry so it does not feel hot).

I have hundreds of pages of proposals to read, so I will certainly not be bored this weekend. My next job is to find a place to live, although this hotel will do nicely for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment